STRIVING FOR PEACE
- Bangladesh School Development Project
In the rural region of Gowher Mouza, Khadimpara Union, Sylhet, a growing settlement of 86,000 people has no viable schooling system to provide its adolescents with a proper education. Many children, including girl children, have to trek miles of land and cross the Surma River to go to school in a neighboring village. The journey is arduous and deprives many girl children of the opportunity to learn. The village is poor and unable to afford constructing the school, so the local leaders were willing to donate a plot of land to OPPFI for the development of the school building and we are now in dire need of funds to kickstart this project.
The money from this campaign will be used to either directly fund the construction of the school or pay for books and other educational materials needed for instruction. We are planning to send a proposal to UNESCO for supplemental funding, pending approval,
- Ghana Compound – We are planing on constructing a combination shelter for victims of domestic violence/abused spouses and orphanage on land currently owned by OPPFI. We await funding to begin building.
- Tanzania – We have a chapter there under development and we are hoping to potentially start a shelter/orphanage.
- Utica, NY, USA – We are in the the exploratory stage of searching out possibilities for a shelter/social service center.
- South Korea and beyond – Our Korean chapter’s activities can be seen here